Stutz 5 Race car T
A Southward original design the Stutz Racer T
STUTZ 5 the race car which placed third in the Indy 500 more than 100 years ago currently owned by the Southward Car Museum in Paraparaumu
The Stutz averaged just over 100 miles an hour when it competed in the 1915 Indy 500, at a time when the oval racetrack was completely paved in bricks.
Imported into New Zealand in 1923, the Stutz won the New Zealand Cup in 1926, 1927 and 1928.
The vintage racing car was in pieces when it was acquired by the museum 40 years ago but has been fully restored.